Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E2k3 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrscary

Programmer
Mar 7, 2003
GB
I am installing an exchange 2003 system for a client.

Their current system is a single window 2000 server. I will be adding a new win2k server with e2k3 on it.

Now, here is what I was gonna do:

Add new server to domain and promote to DC
Run forest prep and AD prep
Install e2k3 on new server.

However, I am trying to minimize my time on site...

Could I:

Get client to stick e2k3 disk in old server.
Via RDP run forest prep and AD prep
Install win2k on new server in my offices
Connect a VPN to the client and add the new server to their domain, let it replicate over the slow link (leave it overnight).
Install E2k3 on the server in my offices.

Shut down new server, take to client and install in place there.

M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.
(No, I am not scary at all! See

Don't see why not in the main. Major issue would be DNS I would have thought. You don't want new server to pick up DNS from anywhere but the old server. Are you using AD integrated DNS?

Neill

I think you'd need to make sure that the new server NEVER sees your own domain so it doesn't get confused. Especially when it is going to become a DC.

I realise you probably don't want to spend much time onsite but doing DCPROMO won't take that long really. Probably less time than mucking about with VPN.

I assume from your post that the new server you propose, would be a part of the client domain. If that is the case, it is recommended by Microsoft the the server exchange resides on be a member server. Stated another way they do not recommend placing exchange on a domain controler. It does not take very long to attached the new (member) server to the doamin install exchg 2003, which does the domain prep and forest prep. I think over all that the best solution would be to install onsite.

Godd Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back