Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E1 PRI Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

osgoodr

Technical User
Aug 1, 2013
GB
Hi,

I'm wondering if its possible to split an incoming E1 connection to provision it to two 3300 ICP'S

One 3300 would be primary and one would be redundant

I suspect the answer is no but thought I'd ask

Cheers

I think the T1/E1 may foot the bill as it takes 1 T1 (or E1) in, then has an out that could go to the card on the 2nd system. Someone else please add if I am incorrect with this. Thanks.

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

You can have a resilent T1/E1 connected to a primary that fails over to the secondary but not "split" an E1.
If controllers are not a resilent pair but connected via IP trunks use ARS to share the resource.

The T1/E1 Combo Module combines trunk support, DSP functionality, and resiliency support
in a single module

Adtran Atlas 550 will do this if you are interested...

Check adtran.com

Mike

The T1/E1 combo module can perform a failover to a secondary controller connected to a Dual T1/E1 module
When the primary fails the circuit is switched via inbuilt relays to the secondary
There maybe some older multiplexing systems out there which can 'split' a T1/E1 link to provide 2 circuits not sure you can do this with a PSTN Telco provider though

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

3 main options here(in my preferred order):

1 - Use T1/E1 combo card to relay the ISDN should the controller develop a fault. NOTE: Sure this is a power thing so if the fault is network based or does not cause the controller to completely fail then you need to either force the failover in ESM or power down the controller

2 - Have 2 PRI connections from the telco on the same number range (trunks 1-30 on one & 31-60 on the other). One PRI to each controller and if one link to SP fails then the other takes over. Obviously more costs involved.

3 - Use a 3rd party device such as an Audiocodes 800 to take a single PRI connection and split into 2 (trunks 1-15 on one & 16-30) on the other. Some additional hardware costs plus there is still a single point of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back