Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E00.....txt files in mdbdata

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2002
GB
We run exchnage server 2000 SP1 and in \mdbdata\ there are a lot of text files starting E00. Each file is 5,120MB and we now have 353 of them (i.e. over 2GB)

What are they? I assume they are part of the message tracking/logging?

Can I safely delete them? Does Exchange automatically delete them?

Help - we are running out of space on the server!

Hi,

you have to start a complete Backup from your Exchnage Information Stores

Khayam

you need to do a full save of your imformation store and the log files will be flushed (deleted)@ the end of the save ... do not delete these manually or you may loose file atachments....:)

Thanks

How do I do a backup/full save of the info store? It is backed up each night on the tape drive?

I assume this is an internal function - where is it found?

Maybe your not running a full backup? are you just backing up the database as flat files? These log files are deleted after every FULL database backup of the information store.

I have one server that just runs archiving purposes that I cant back up to tape, I delete log files manually on this server that are older then one day, I'm sure that any info contained in log files older then one day have already been written to the DB ....right? 01110000

Further to this,

The log files will be flushed after a successful online backup (while exchange is still running). Although ths is only the case if you are using exchange 2000 aware backup software. NT Backup is and so are veritas etc. with the exchange option.

What backup software are you using?

Hope this helps
[smurf]

I am using Arcserve without exchange option-just backing up the files. Should I change product then?

No, I'm pretty sure Arcserve has a exchange option. You should invest in that to fix your problem, after a succsessful online backup with this option all the log files will be flushed.

You don't need to backup the M: either by the way - it will be pretty useless to you in a restore.

For more info, here is a note taken from the Exchange Admin companion;

---------------------------------------------------------------
Never, never, never delete your log files. Here's why: Assume that log file 9 contains a command to insert a new page at a particular place in the database. Log file 10 contains a command to delete this page. Now suppose that an administrator deletes log file 9, perhaps thinking that the file's timestamp is too old, and also deletes the checkpoint file. The administrator then needs to reboot the system for unrelated reasons. When the Store.exe process is started, ESE automatically enters recovery mode. Finding no checkpoint file, ESE has no choice but to replay all of the log files. When log file 10 is replayed, the delete command will be carried out on that page, and its contents will be destroyed. ESE won't know that there was an earlier command to insert a new page in that location in the database because log file 9 was deleted. Your database will be corrupted. Whatever you do, do not delete your log files or the checkpoint file. Furthermore, be aware that write-back caching can have the effect of deleting log files. The best practice is to disable write-back caching and never delete your log files or checkpoint file.
----------------------------------------------------------------- [smurf]

Stop backing up the Exchsrvr folders. Also do NOT backup the M drive.

Use NTBackup to backup the store to a bkf file and then include this in the nightly arcserve backup rather than exchange folders. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

What is NTBackup? Is it a standard part of Win2K? Where do I find it? I have looked in start\system tools.

NTbackup is the native backup program included with windows, Its capable of network backups, exchange (minus bricks level) using tape or backing up to files.

Start/run ntbackup 01110000

Thanks - tek-tips is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back