Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-mails vanishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuestHouse

Technical User
Nov 18, 2008
CA
I have a problem that has so far stumped everyone. Here's the story:

We run a small guesthouse in British Columbia. Shaw is running internet into our offices. Our webpages and e-mail are hosted by GoDaddy. Recently we've noticed that e-mails containing the guesthouse's URL ( mountainsideguesthouse dot com) are disappearing. You can try it for yourself. Send a test e-mail with that URL in it as a link -- or even not as a hyperlink sometimes -- and the e-mail will appear to send normally. It will land in your "sent" folder but will never reach the recipient.

Shaw says they don't have anything that would filter our URL. GoDaddy says the same. Both advise that we check blacklists, which we have done but have found no blacklists for our site or for the IP. We also don't have problems sending e-mail from our info@ account, so long as it doesn't have the offending URL in it. It's shared hosting with a couple of my wife's other sites and there's no problem sending the URLs for those sites in the body of an e-mail.

We've only been open for 3 months, we have never sent any spam or any unsolicited e-mail of any kind. I can't find any blacklists that we're on and I can't imagine how we could have landed on a blacklist.

So far lots of "tickets" have been written at the two providers (shaw and godaddy) and they've all been advanced to "level three" but nobody has anything close to a solution except to say they're stumped.

Anyone here have any ideas, solutions, thoughts or random musings on the frailties of the internet upon which we rely so much? I'd love to hear them.

Does godaddy have spam filtering on the email account?

Have you used a webmail client to see if the emails show in the mailbox on the godaddy mail server?

Check the webmail portal to see if any filters are set in it.

If emails show in the webmail portal then something on the computer could be deleting the email or putting it in a junk folder.

Does godaddy have spam filtering on the email account?

Have you used a webmail client to see if the emails show in the mailbox on the godaddy mail server?

Check the webmail portal to see if any filters are set in it.

If emails show in the webmail portal then something on the computer could be deleting the email or putting it in a junk folder.

Nope. Those were the first things we checked. We even turned all the spam filters off to see if that would help. We were introduced to tons of Nigerian fellows with lots of money to get out of Africa, but none of the test e-mails containing our URL would get through on webmail or through the pop server, sending or recieving.

OK, this is very strange.

I have verified what GuestHouse is saying

It appears that any email containing the link mentioned that goes between different email systems just disappears.

I live in Florida and have nothing to do with Shaw or GoDaddy.

I sent emails between all of the following:
Yahoo
Gmail
Brighthouse's RoadRunner
My own domain with my own Exchange server

Sent 2 test messages containing just a hyperlink, one my own hyperlink and one with the hyperlink mentioned. The emails with my own hyperlink came through just fine, the others never appeared.

Note that emails sent within the same email system (i.e. yahoo to yahoo) worked just fine.

WTF!

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back