Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-mails disappear from inbox when replied to

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLapoff

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
US
Hello,

We are using a Notes 6.5.1 in a Citrix environment on Windows 2000 (Server and Professional). We have had an issue that has happened to a few users. When a user replies to an e-mail, the e-mail disappears from the inbox. It also cannot always be found in the "All Documents" view. I have verified that the user is not viewing "unread" documents only in their inbox. I have tested this as the user to verif that the problem truly exists. I have checked all preferenes and settings, but cannot seem to find anything. Googling it has produced no results either. Any help would be appreciated.

If the document is no longer visible in the All docs view, then it has been deleted from the database. Normally, that is the only possible explanation.
However, if the mail file is corrupt, then strange behavior can be witnessed. I would run a consistency check on the mail files of the users that are concerned, then refresh their database design.
That should help alleviate the issue.

Pascal.

Pascal,

I ran the "fixup" from the Domino Admin client, which returned no errors. I will also have the users refresh their design. Does the "fixup" function perform the consistency check? I searched for a way to force a consistency check, but couldn't find anything. From what I've found, Domino automatically performs a consistency check on all DB's that don't have logging enabled when the server is booted. Our Domino server reboots nightly after backup. I did find that the "fixup" performs a consistency check as part of it's function. Is that true? I will let you know how I make out after having the user perform the refresh.

Thank you,
Jon

Every time the server reboots, it does a consistency check of all dbs and runs a fixup on those that need it, so that should be taken care of there. It is useful to do it manually on dbs that resist this treatment, though.
You might want to check your Administrator's Help db for information on the parameters of fixup, there are some for rebuilding view indexes that could be of use.
You do not need to "force" the fixup, all you need to do is use the Command Line in the Admin client, or directly on the server. You can also create a Program document in the server NAB and schedule a fixup if you want, but given that the server reboots nightly, that should not be useful.

Pascal.

Pascal,

Thank you for your help, but the issue is still occuring with our user. I have submitted an ESR with IBM regarding the issue. I will post any findings here. I just hate dealing with IBM - probably the worst vendor I have to deal with.

Thanks again,
Jon

Having been a Notes consultant for the past ten (eleven?) years, I must admit that, although the purchase of Lotus Notes by IBM has brought a lot of good things to the code (server and client), the level of support has really gone down the drain.
Once upon a time, we consultants used to have a Knowledge Base with a gold mine of debugging and other helpful information. Until R4.6, I could almost always find support data available on every problem I encountered. IBM hid that valuable info away and now there is no more KB available. The online version is useless, heavily edited and all the good info is now restricted.
What good that does escapes me, it sure doesn't help me in my everyday job.
On the other hand, IBM probably has a lot more juicy Premium support contracts. I guess the managers are happy. Good for them, but bad for us.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back