Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

e-mail server setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar36

Programmer
Feb 9, 2003
US
Help. This is my first system setup on Win2K3 and I am having trouble with e-mail. My domain is lap.esc.net and I set my e-mail server up using this as the domain. However, it does not work and I think I messed up. In Win2K when I set up outlook express I am inputing mail.lap.esc.net when asked for POP-3 mail server. I now think this is what I should use for the Win2K3 e-mail server domain. Am I correct? If so how do I recover without blowing the whole thing? Thanks for any help.
Robert

Love makes the world go round!

Have you ever set-up an emailserver?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

This is my first Win2k3 installation. It is not like Win2K.

are the mail clients internal? i.e. on the LAN? if so then just put the servers internal ip address in the pop3 server name box. if the clients are external, make sure that mail.lap.esc.net points to your servers external IP address, also make sure you have port 110 open on your firewall for incoming pop3 requests.

Hope this helps

Paul

I have already set the e-mail server to lap.esc.net which I now realize IS WRONG. How do I go about changing it to point to mail.lap.esc.net without blowing my whole installation? Thanks for the input on firewall. Would have had to find that the hard way LOL.

Is this the inbuilt pop3 server with W2K3?

I've never used it before, sorry.

Failing everything else, uninstall the pop3 server role from add remove programs and reinstall it, all you will have to do is re create mail accounts with the same username and password.

Only open the pop3 port on the firewall if you have remote users downloading mail from your server.

You will have to open port 25 in the firewall if you download mail using SMTP.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back