Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E- Mail Sensitivity in Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

patstone

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
GB
I have a GP setting that sets all mails sensitivity to Private. Senior managers want this changed to Normal because it is cauing problems when they send Appoinments.

Before I make this changes I have a few questions

1. Marking a message with Private is advisory only and if I change it to Normal in my GP do I lose any Security settings ?

2. Can I two different GP's, one for setting the sensitivity to Private for mail messages and a second for setting the sensitivity to Normal for Appointments or are they both under the same umbrella !

Thanks

Anybody have any input on this one ........!

The private/confidential/personal/normal flag that a user can set on an email is just a flag, nothing more. Its value doesn't change any security at all.

Not quite true.

Check the link and particularly Private - "The recipient can reply to or forward the message (including automatic forwarding using rules) but cannot edit its original content.

I stand corrected.

That said, it seems to rely on the recipient having Outlook, the message being sent using at least Rich Text, and for some features, assumes an Exchange server is in the loop.

Otherwise, its just another header entry, I suppose.

I agree. That's a lot of IFs. Just like read receipts and DRM. It can't be depended on if the message is going to travel outside your environment.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back