Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-Mail scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceZ

Technical User
Jun 20, 2007
US
I notice that the following two are checked (in my NIS 2005):
Scan Incoming E-mail
Scan Outgoing E-mail

Someone said that they should NOT be checked.
Can someone please tell us what to do?

Should they both be CHECKED or NOT CHECKED?

Thank you

They should both be checked. It may slow down your ability to send and receive e-mail, but it is a good idea. Here is why:
Some viruses have the ability to not only infect your computer, but also attach to your address book and send a copy of itself to everybody in your address book. So if you don't have those checked, you could become infected by a virus and it could still replicate and send itself out via your e-mail account. This will piss off a lot of people because they might think that you purposely sent it! So you need to scan incoming AND outgoing e-mail. Keep those boxes checked!

Thanks. The only reason I asked was that someone said if I was using AOL 9 Optimized and they had their own email checking (??), there was no need for the NIS 2005 scanning of incoming/outgoing email.

Ah. Okay. Now that makes sense. I need to re-phrase what I said because I thought that you were using Microsoft Outlook. If you use web-based e-mail (anything that does not use a POP3 server hooked up to Outlook), then you don't need to have the incoming and outgoing email scanner on because it won't scan those. Symantec is designed to scan e-mails as they are sent/received by Microsoft Outlook (using port 110). If you use AOL and only sign on via the website, you don't need the incoming/outgoing e-mail scanner on (especially since AOL already has a virus scanner).

I would leave it turned on for outbound email -- which is port 25, just in case your computer is ever compromised by a trojan/virus and used for spamming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back