Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-mail addresses that don't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

markroberts

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
GB
I was wondering whether the is a way in exchange to forward e-mails which accounts don't exist to another address.

For example if someone mispells an e-mail address it would get bounced back, can exchange be set up to forward this e-mail to the administrator account therefore allowing the IT team to pass it on.

Many thanks

Mark

You can setup your SMTP virtual servers to send NDR reports to another account (one goes to the sender of course).

If you look at the SMTP vritual server, it's the Message tab, send copy of NDR to: field.

This will send you ALL NDRs, even the ones that aren't because of wrong addresses. But you're talking about an infinite amount of addresses; I don't think there's any way to know if messages were bounced because of a misspell, or if it's just a spammer trying to "guess" addresses.

Thanks for the info, but what I am looking for is the full message forwarded to the admin mailbox so I can forward it on to the relevant person. Am I asking too much from exchange?

Many Thanks

Mark

From the copy of the NDR that gets sent to the Admin or other user of your choice, you can open the message and do a "Resend". At that point in time you can correct the typo that was made in by the original sender and send it to the intended user. You may want to take note of the original sender's address and put it in the message as the message will seem to be coming from the Admin (or other user to which the copy of NDR gets sent).

I usually write a note the the user (generic message) explaining what happened (eg. The original message below from xxx@domain.com was mis-addresed and fell into the Postmaster's mailbox. *** Original message starts here ***)

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back