Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E & M

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeter

Technical User
Apr 6, 2000
US
We have a 3660 router with 4 ea E & M ports . I have very little info on the E & M lines . Iv'e check cisco's site , however I was not able to locate much info . Maybe someone out there can set me in the right direction and or show me a site . Thanks
in Advance !!! [sig][/sig]

I have done a whole bunch of work with these ports, and let me tell you, without good info, troubleshooting can be a bear. Over time I have tried to develope foolproof ways of dealing with troubleshooting and ensuring wiring is done correctly. I have some papers I have put together on this subject that I'm pretty sure can get you through your situation (90% of the the problems you'll see when working with E&M involve wiring.) Either give me your email address, or tell me more of whats involved (ie 2-wire or 4-wire, type or II, are you connecting to a PBX, is someone else doing the wiring, etc). Let's try to avoid going the email route, as someone else here may need this info at some point too.
[sig][/sig]

Thanks for your responce !

We have 4ea 2-wire E&M voice ports . The ports are type 1 , dtmf, and wink start .
The E&M lines or comming from a NEC-PBX , we are doing the wiring on the key system side ( norstar meridian 0x32 ) . [sig][/sig]

Okay. Here's what I would suggest. Change to 4-wire and leave the other settings the way they are. For wire is easier to troubleshoot. Now, once you're set up for 4 wire, the PBX vendor may tell you that you only need six wires
E, M, T, R, T1, R1
In type I SG and SB are not used, however, the router needs that ground so it recognizes 0 VDC. Have the PBX vendor wire all leads to a 66 block and label them. E,M,T,R,T1,R1,SG. If he has no SG lead do to it being type I, leave an open pin for it anyway. On the four SG pins, daisy chain a wire between them and run it to a ground (there will be a ground post on the PBX chasis. If you can't find it, any old thing at ground potential will do, ie outlet gnd). Have some cat5 cable and four rj45 jacks handy. I only say cat5 because there's 8 wires in it. Punch down the jacks and put straight thru patch cables between them and the router ports. The only open place you ahould have at this point is on the router side of the 66 block for you to punch down the leads of the cat5.

If you have visio, I will gladly send you the diagram I did up to guide you thru the last part. If not, I can send it to you as a screenshot.

The only problems you may run into after all this is human error, or T+R and T1+R1 may be crossed due to labelling error. In any case, if you can get that far the rest is all down hill.

P.S. Troubleshooting tools to have whenever doing E&M are a volt meter and a buttset. Thats all you need. [sig][/sig]

Sounds great , thanks alot !!! I do not have visio so if you could please e-mail to
JoeFisher@LasVegas.com . Thanks Again !!! [sig][/sig]

Thats odd ! I just checked the service and all is ok at this time . Please try again ,
Thanks . [sig][/sig]

Do you have any email size limitation? Since I had to convert the visio files to images, they ended up kinda big.
Maybe I could send the files one at a time. Let me know. [sig][/sig]

I have looked at all the options and cannot find any reason why you cannot send , however I do have another e-mail address for you to try > lvgs2@earthlink.net
Thanks for being patient .
[sig][/sig]

I just sent that info out to you in pieces to both email addresses. The joefisher address still doesn't work for me, but I haven't received any problems from the other. Hope you got it.

munsonbrown:
Sorry for my poor english.
I also need to setup the 4 channel e&m voice between cisco 2610 and cisco 3640, and i need some diagram of guide how to connect with my PBX, my PBX is NEC M100, type 5, 4-wire. can you send your diagram to me, I have viso at my system, my email address : yuanlehong@163.com

thanks a lot!!

I have a digital voice card.

If I run the command "show voice port summary" the ports show me state EM_ONHOOK and try to call across to another point of link, like example call to NY, and I again the command, the port follow the secuence and show me EM_PARK by a time and inmediatly change the state to EM_ONHOOK.

It´s a problem with my card o my IOS?

Don't suppose you can send me a copy of the Visio stuff I'm about to start the same thing on an Alcatel PBX, could do with all the help I can find.

mhood@cairn-energy.plc.uk

Thanks

I can send you the configs on the job. Let me know! “Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNA,(CCNP-Routing)
UOP Student BSIT
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back