Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-commerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesika1

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hello,

Could you please suggest me the best way to implement e-commerce on the site:
software, package from hosting company...or else?
Thank you very much!

Have you tried contacting your hosting company to see if they provide eCommerce?? Mostly all hosting companies provide that...
I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Thank you, but here is my situation:
I am freelance web designer.
I am not a programmer, but customers ask me somethimes for e-commerce
Some of them already have hosts who do not provide shopping carts and do not want to change them.
What is the best way to go so I don't need to hire programmer and charge customers his fee?
I heard that somethimes is easier to buy software than to go with hosts...
I need advice!

Thank you again

Take a look at Miva.com. Their Miva Merchant storefront software is pretty well done.

One neat thing about Miva is that they are going to be releasing a compiler for their Miva Script programming language. They will also be providing a free virtual machine that can be installed on most any server to run the compiled Merchant software and other third-party programs. This should make it very portable.

Good luck,
Todd

I was going to recommend MIVA but Todd got to it before I did. I am working with MIVA right now for an e-commerce site and so far, they are great to work with, they offer a comprehensive package and you can keep your current host arrangements. Their backend features are extensive too (e.g., inventory, email lists, wizards, etc).

I think what makes Miva Merchant so viable is the wealth of third-party mods, 95% of which are pretty low-cost. There are probably 20-30 hardcore Merchant module developers, plus plenty of folks who can tweak the code if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

They're not perfect, but there are untold thousands of stores running it. --------------
Low Cost Prints:

Thank you all so much!
I cannot tell you how much you helpped me!

Nesika

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back