Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-Commerce start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threnody

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
US
Hi

I've just been bought into a project that is already in motion - to start an ecommerce section on my companies corporate website. They've already bought the software - Intershop 4, and have decided to house it inhouse.

Problem is, we don't have an IT team (other than me - and I'm only a web producer), and I"m not sure what hidden things I should be aware of.

Any comments/help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Threnody

My experience about hosting web applications is that it takes your time, and that problems normaly comes after 23 ;-). If you HAVE decided to host the system yourself, I'd suggest that you read the supplier contract very thoroughly, so you know what you can expect from your supplier when it comes to support. Next you should talk expectations with your management.

The best advice I can give is to use a hosted system (e.g.

I agree with JZA The best advice anyone can give is to use a hosted system! Hosting your own site will most definately present a person with your 'directed' expertise a multitude of sins!
Good Luck

The first step to any E-Comm development or hosting question should be to ask "Who is the customer?" You will want to research who your customer is and how many of them there are. You will want to find a few of these people who you can use as test subjects to test your system out before making it live. If you need more help check out ...

Eric

Eric Repec
eric@ericrepec.com
If its not broke try it make it faster.....

Do not discount the importance/value of a low-end monitoring software when your planning out your strategy. Be sure to include this since it will reflect on your knowledge...you must consider a monitoring solution, even a basic one to help you manage this site, considering you have no IT team to speak of...check out the entry-level product ProactiveWeb from proactivenet.com, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back