Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

e-commerce components and data base implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUADPUMP

Technical User
Nov 16, 2002
US

I checked some posts earlier and found a lot of helpful comments. here are some of my questions

If i am starting a web site with a list of item and implement a web cart, what data base engine should be used?
Does the number (100 to 500 items) of items matter?

My graphics designer tells me it's a matter of including code/script per item and hosting companies are helpful in directing clients. Is that accurate?

I would recommend using a database thats runs on its own server like SQL2000 or Oracle while your web site (pages) are on another server.
With these, your database size is only limited to the hosting package you purchase from the web host company and you'll be insured that your database will be available when you have a large amount of visitors.
Web hosting packages with a SQL server are usually a litte higher than just using a MS Access database.

I am also trying to chose a shopping cart vendor or see if any code can be implemented easily by someone who used to program (me!)

what shopping cart package vendor can you recommend? or if there's software to be integrated ?

Is there a chart/site or vendor to compare costs based on volume when chosing secure gateway & shopping cart?

tia

If it is just about 500 or less, you can use an MS access database. Most web hosting companies wil recommend MIVA if you sign up with their e-commerce package & the price will usually be more as you add more products. There are thousands of shopping cart scripts out there. I wuld recommend using your own shopping cart script with MS Access (you can easily upgrade to MS SQL at a later date. That way you can save a little money in the long run as kalamp pointed out.

As you pointed out, think about what payment gateway / merchant processor you might use. Most of them offer something as well. Look and see if they offer a database of sorts. Something that you can take with you if you decide to change after your contract expires.

Here is one company that my friend uses: - I do not recommend them but it will help get you on the right track.

The company that I work with on the side, changes about $32.00 a month for hosting & shoping cart built with an MS Access database. Merchant accounts & secure payment gateway are included.

Great,

Are you telling me they will give software (access, etc)
if i change hosts?

I would be interested to see which company you work with.

Well I am telling you that my company will. You will have access to the server - your website so that you can download the database, etc. Now giving you MS Access - the software is a different story, but have access to the database at all time - yes.

Thnx for prompt response.

I am not after free s/w, but was trying to understand your point.

If for some reason one changes hosts, how can the data base be available at the new host by previous co? (what would generally cost to have access to a database for a web site?)

Also, is shopping cart script, something that a graphics designer, or one with basic understanding can implement?

TY

We would give you a user name / password to access the host. You would see your database & the source code - including the shopping cart code.

Depending on the graphic designer, he/she might be able to implement it. Otherwise, no. :) Basic understanding is pretty much all it takes - depending on if you want it to look a lot like your site.

Microsoft Access is not intended to be used with high-stress, high-concurrency, 24x7 server applications, such as e-commerce web sites. A access database can only handle so many requests at a time. Don't quote me on this but I believe it is less than 25. For these type of applications, the best solution is to switch to a true client/server-based database system such as Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE, Microsoft SQL Server), or Oracle.

When I first began building e-commerce web sites I started with Access but with the limitations I now only build e-commerce sites running a SQL database. It's a little more costly starting up (usaually not much) but saved me headaches.

As far as e-commerce applications, there are countless. Personally I build e-commerce sites using StoreFront ( and CandyPress ( Most web designers can easily set these up for you and you would be up and running quickly.

Hope this helps.

From a technical standpoint, yes. Like you - I cannot remember how many simulataneous users that the MS website recommends. We also did some testing on a MS DB a couple of years ago, & got up to 54 (?) simulataneous users - almost the recommended without any problems. I cannot remember the exact numbers since it was a long time ago & we were just experimenting, but I do remember that it was a lot more than twice. That is why we start people out using Access & if they start getting a lot of hits & orders, we move them up for better response / stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back