Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-Biz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthInSatire

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
I will soon be launching a website that will be bringing in some extra money. I'm the only person involved in this endevor. My question is what do i need to do to ease the taxes i'm going to have to pay?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Speak to an accountant.

If you do happen to turn a profit, you can reduce your tax liability by expensing some of the business costs. If you're running at a loss, you probably don't want to do this (although there are some reasons why you might still want to). Your accountant will clue you in.

Chip H.

Robert Kiousaki in his Rich Dad, Poor Dad book said the difference between a businessman and the others is...
The Others earn some money, the tax takes his share and they get to spend what's left.
A businessman earns some money, spends as much as he can and the tax man gets a share of whats left.

Either way the tax man gets a share. So put some of whatever you earn in a separate bank account. So when the tax man calls, you've some to give him.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

As chiph has said, to legitimately minimize your tax burden, you should consult an accountant or tax attorney.

If you are in the US, there are even options for a home business that include reducing your tax burden by applying a portion of some household expenses to your business. But to qualify for the expenses, you have to fulfil some physical plant requirements.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

The advice to speak with a tax expert is the right answer. I also suggest that you clarify IN ADVANCE the fees that the professional will charge. Ideally, you'll hook up with an adviser who will under-charge for the initial start-up with the hope of keeping your business in the future. You should also ask the adviser about his/her experience representing clients like yourself, ask for references, then check the references. Make sure that you find someone who will be responsive to a small business. Good luck!

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back