Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynazip libs under Windows7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbh27

Programmer
Jun 15, 2004
GB
I'm using Dynazip successfully in a VFP app under earlier OS but am now having a problem with Win7 (Home Premium 64). I'm getting the message 'Error creating output files (Problem extracting file(s))' followed by a messagebox containing '28' when the VFP app tries and restore a file using duzactx.dll (v5) which was created by dzactx.dll (v5). I've stored these libs in the same folder as the VFP exe application, and also registered them using regsvr32. Not sure if there's a 32/64 bit conflict somewhere. Another issue which may or may not be connected is that the zip file I tried to restore could not be sent as an attachment from the Win7 machine, so it may be that the zip file I'm trying to restore is corrupt in some way. Is this an issue that anyone else has come across? Any advice would be appreciated.

To clarify - though I put the 2 third-party libs (DZACTX.DLL and DUZACTX.DLL) in the same folder as the application, they seem to require registration in Win7 (sometimes in XP as well) - unlike the 4 VFP runtime libs which are also in this folder.

If they require registration, make sure you use the correct regsvr32.exe from SysWow64 and not from System32.

I doubt this is the only reason though. As you report you get a message from the duzactx.dll this proves you already use it, check whther you can write out to the destination directory. Since Vista writing to program files folder and may other system folders is limited.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks Olaf - I'll check the version of regsvr32 I use later today. My first thoughts were that the third-party libs need an update for Win7, but that's just a hunch at this stage.

You're right, that a dll can of course also have dependencies to some OS API function deprecated in Win7, eg anything related to the file system. But there's a lower probability, as too many apps would be broken if that has such a major change. MS typically goes through several stagings of replacements, keeping compatibility so developers can adapt through 2 or three newer OS versions, before some function really is dropped and deprecated.

Bye, Olaf.

I agree with your views Olaf. What I've always found strange about these two third-party libs, however, is that I put them with the 4 vfp runtime dlls in the same folder as the application exe. I've never needed to register the 4 vpf dlls, but occasionally - and this happens under XP - I need to register the DZ- DUZACTX libs. Registering them resolves things.

Under Win7 though, registering them gives the error I noted above. The error msg suggests to me that the zip file from which we try to restore is corrupt, but it happens on more than one machine and only under Win7 (all 64 bit I think).

I thought that if the DLLs were in the application folder then registering shouldn't be necessary. On the other hand, if the DLL is in the folder AND it's registered (maybe in both system32 and wow64) which takes precedence? (I guess this wouldn't be good practice anyway!)

Hi,

If everything fails, you could also consider to make use of Grai Boyds zip technique. Please read faq184-3830 for detailed information.

Regards,

Jockey2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back