Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamically splitting large html files

Status
Not open for further replies.

butler

MIS
Oct 12, 1998
US
Greetings,

We have a sales/accounting system that generates various daily html formatted files into an archive directory on our IIS web server. The problem is that some of the files are as many as 3000 pages long are can lock up older/slower computers. I would like to be able to have the user select the max number of pages he would like to see, so that when he selects a large file it would automatically be broken up on the fly for him, without effecting the original file. At the bottom of each page they would see something like:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next End

Thanks,
--bill

Sure you can do that using the FileSystemObject. But i bet it would be incredibly slow. It would probably remind you of the Led Zeppelin song "I'm gonna crawl" LOL

Now I’m assuming you can’t change the file output. I mean the most efficient solution is to obviously change the program that generates the files.

One thing that seems obvious. If you want to deal with your data in a different form factor then that processing might need to be done up front and only once, as opposed to dynamically over and over again for each request.

So one thing you might consider would be an NT Service that monitors the files/folders and when a file changes the service does the parsing and splitting of the data and generates new data for you that is in a format/storage of your choosing. With this scenario you could use a database where each page gets it’s own row and you can select multiple page ranges in a SQL Query.

Ok well I could go on with many more different approaches but by now everyone has stopped reading anyway… LOL

-pete

thanks Pete

I really like the idea of having each PAGE as it's own row in a database. I'm going to test it out with some large and small file.

Thanks again,
--bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back