Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamically sending reports through Business Objects Enterprise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixiegrrl

Programmer
Jul 31, 2008
US
Hi,

I work for a hospital and I have a report that tells information about MDs applying to work here. This report now is for all MDs in the process of applying. I need to take a subset which needs to be delivered to the department chiefs based upon information from a table. Meaning that if I am chief of medicine only the records associated with the department of medicine should be e-mailed to me.

The only way I can think of doing this is the following:
Create a report of all departments (we have 14 of them), find out who the chiefs are and their emails. Then, through Business Objects Enterprise set a filter on the report where department = x. Although I wouldn't be creating 14 separate reports in Crystal, I would need to create 14 separate instances of them in BOE depending upon which department it is for and set them up in BOE to email to the department chiefs.

Can anyone think of an easier or more effiecient way of doing this? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Which version of BOE? The latest, I believe, has 'batch' processing which would do what you need..Otherwise 3rd party software ( Like VisualCUT - can do that, I think.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi, thanks for your response, unfortunatly third party software is not an option. I am using BOE XI R2, by the latest do you mean R2 or is R3 out yet?

Hi,
I was referring to R2, but not sure since I currently have no access - it may be a R3 feature..it is out, I believe

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I was investingating this a few months ago just prior to adding a third party software app to get the job done. At the time I was told that XIR2 can be set up for report "bursting" via the SDK but my efforts to get any information about this from the BOE engineers resulted in the sound of silence. For the present, your one report / 14 instances in Enterprise seems to be the only (most efficient) option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back