Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamically Driving Org Charts from a Staff Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverik59

Programmer
Oct 30, 2002
GB
Hi, I have an access database of employee names with fields employee name, department and also manager ID and need a way of driving out employees into graphical organisation charts with the manager at the top and employees underneath. I am using coldfusion and am looking at the CF Tree command,but need a bit more direction-Any help much appreciated!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this for some time (thread232-376251). Seems like something every organization would want to do... but no one seems to have done it.

I got refered to which looks promising... but it appears to be a whole [expensive] Enterprise Server-type solution... and the examples on their website don't even work all that well for me... so I'm a little leary of even approaching that road.

Seems like it's something that could be accomplished with a couple of CF custom tags... maybe a java applet... but it's on my back burner at the moment.

If you hear of anything else, let me know!
Hope it helps,
-Carl

this seems like a fun little project! can you give more details?

what sort of server enviroment are you using coldfusion version and operating system?

what client constraints do you have? can you use flash(which version)? javascript(which browser)? java(which jvm)? straight html?

aprox. how wide and deep is your org chart going to be?

jgroove

For my environment, our org charts are on our intranet (I'm guessing this would be fairly common, since org charts don't have a whole lot of value to external customers)... so we have a little more control over the client environment... but because a large base of our employees (engineers) are UNIX-based, we do still need to support Netscape 4.7x. And we could only use Flash v.4, v.5 at best.

Prefer as little javascript as possible... since we're finding that engineers, as a whole, will turn javascript off more often than not (same with cookies). Java is a possibility... though, again Sun-based rather than MS. Straight HTML or dynamic graphics would be the ultimate.

We run ColdFusion 5.0 and MX Enterprise servers, on Solaris (so no DLLs or C++ CFX's) and Win2KPro.

When I was in planning, before I postponed the project, I was figuring to keep the chart at around 680-700pixels wide. It would show two to three levels of hierarchy, and then the names would be links to allow the user to drill down to subsequent levels.
I was looking at doing the whole thing with a dynamically-derived table... with colored cells for people, and graphics for connecting lines. But then things like dotted lines, that didn't necessarily connect to someone directly underneath a given manager, started to become a problem that made my brain start to hurt.
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Carl,

I will take a stab at it, i won't gaurentee anything, but i will try. if i had complete control i would use cfmx, flashmx and cfc's, but I will try work within your contraints. how about a cfmx, flash 5 and wddx sort of application?

i think this is a pretty cool idea and will try my best, i will go for functional working copy, then try for a sexy one.

jgroove

ansi sql or do you have a db in mind?

Hi,

I am in the middle of developing the application for our intranet.I'm using coldfusion Using the CF Tree tag, I think this will be possible although it may look a bit directory structure ish and there's a complicated loop at the end so its a little confusing. Theres some attributes which allow images and hyperlinks so I'm going to generate a dynamic page for each seperate employee clicked on.

Simon,
What are you doing about dotted lines and such?
I'm not sure our organization structure would fit into a traditional tree, unfortunately :-(
All the same, someday I'd love to see an example of what you're producing (sans any company confidential data, of course).

Hope it helps,
-Carl

That is a very very good point. I dont know what to do about that. Perhaps theres some way of using flash instead. I don't know. Doomed ha. I'm continuing to use cftree and see where it goes.

Cheers
Si

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back