Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamically creating a list box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rman

Programmer
May 7, 1999
US
I dynamically populate a listbox &lt;select&gt; with strings that<br>
vary greatly. IE4 and IE5 will resize the the control allowing me to see the largest entry. <br>
<br>
Netscape 4.08 and communicator 4.5 will not. Is there a workaround for this?

Will &lt;textarea wrap=virtual&gt;, or wrap=physical? These wrap tage are recognized by Netscape only, and I have never used them myself. Just saw it in a book over the weekend.<br>
rivkah

thats works great for a text area, how about a &lt;select&gt;<br>
option list?. Does netscape have any special tags or properties that would force netscape to redraw the box to the proper size, so the text doesnt appear truncated?

Is there possibly a size=? in your &lt;select&gt; tag that would be limiting the viewable area? I'm still trying to find a tag solution for you.<br>
rivkah

the size attribute is set to 6 which makes it act like a list box instead of a pull down menu. Thanks for your help.

yes; there is a workaround for this.....<br>
just add a LOT of spaces, followed by a period "." to the end of the first item...this will make the box be as wide as that first Item in order to accomidate other long items<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back