Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Update Column Text Descriptions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEAR

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
Does anyone know a means to dynamically change the column head text descriptions based on values retrieved from a database. Example: A report retrieving a single column of data which represents invoice totals for a specific month. I’d like the column header to reflect the specific text name for that selected month (Jan, Feb, Mar. ect….) rather than the actual column name inv_amnt. I know that this can be edited within impromptu, but the target for this report is an Excel file and we’d like to automate the process so that the Excel file can be emailed directly to the user.

Thanks

NEAR,

The column header title descriptions are not dynamic. They can be either the name of the report object beneath it, or static text you can type in. That said, there is a way to make an apparent column header truly dynamic. This is done by suppressing the automatic column headers and replacing them in the report with another calculated report object placed in a header frame. If you intend to export to Excel, do NOT use the page header, as that does not convey to Excel. Create a grouping based on the variable you would use to change the header and use this header as your 'page header'. Note: This must be grouped at the level that a page break would naturally occur in! This is programatically similar to setting the scope of a page header to a similar grouping. Be sure to go to the Layout tab of the Primary List Frame and turn on the 'Repeat on Each Page' option for the group header. Be sure to use the Excel with Format option for the Excel output.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

This is done by suppressing the automatic column headers and replacing them in the report with another calculated report object placed in a header frame." Could someone explain this step a little more thoughoughly. I have no promblems getting the column to display the data I want it to, it is just this step that I need explained a little better.

1. Select the "List Frame" of the report. Do this by right clicking in the white space to the right of your last column.
2. If you right clicked, choose Properties. If you left clicked, go to Format, Properties.
3. Go to the "Layout" tab and uncheck the box for "Column Title Headers".
4. Check the box marked "List Header", click on the first icon which reads "Repeat Header on each page", then click OK.
5. Add calculations to the "List Header" to display the headers you want. You'll have to size them to match your columns.

If you want your column names to change with different data groupings, Decide what your high level grouping is, then replace Step 4 with checking the box for the appropriate Grouping Header.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

I have followed your steps and I see no "Layout" tab. I am running Impromptu 6 - User version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back