Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic SQL - update with a double quote in my field

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8277

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
Hello - I am building some dynamic sql and I have a problem with a field I am reading from a database that contains a double quote that I am then trying to include in some dynamic sql to update another table.

Basically I have this problem:

create a recordset by selecting * from table A
loop through the recordset
assign the variable partnum to a field in the recordset

so at a point in this loop, my variable partnum will get this value: partnum = 12345 1/2"bulk

I am then trying to include this partnum variable in some dynamic sql:
strsql = "update tblparts set inventory = 3 where partnum = '" & partnum & "' and year = 2009"

so the net effect of my strsql variable is:
"update tblparts set inventory = 3 where partnum = '12345 1/2"bulk' and year = 2009"

The double quote in my part number is causing the dynamic sql to fail because it isn't expecting the double quote in the middle of the string.

If you would really really want to use dynamic SQL then you need to replace each single quote with double single quote

replace(myString,"'","''")

Use parameter. Do not build the exact clause:
I am not sure how your FrontEnd handle parameters but basically it is like this:
Code:
strsql = "update tblparts set inventory = 3 where partnum = ? and year = 2009"
The question mark is a place holder of your parameter.

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000/2005.

ANd why on earth are you doing this in a loop? Why aren't you simply writing one no-dynamic, set-based Sql staement?
Code:
update t
set inventory = 3 
from tblparts t
join tablea a on t.partnum = a.partnum 
where  year = 2009

This is shorter, easier to maintain and most important, much much faster than the process you are using.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Yes, very good question - why we both missed it?????

:)

The reason for the loop is because the actual code is not as simple as I made it seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back