Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic sorting of details within group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewiSys

Programmer
Jan 13, 2010
US
Hi,
This sounds really simple but I can't seem to find the solution.
My report is for inventory items. Those items have a field called 'status'. The status can be either 'active' or 'inactive'. There is also a field 'status_date' which is the date that the status field changed.
The report groups on 'status'.
My issue: How can I sort the detail records in the status group ascending or descending based on the status?
If the status = 'active', sort by status_date ascending (oldest dates listed first).
If the status = 'inactive', sort by status_date descending (newest dates first).

Thanks in advance.

** I am using Crystal 2011

Create a formula
@sort
If Status = 'Active' then DateDiff("d",dateadd('d',-365,currentdate),StatusDate) // gives date diff from date in past increases as dates get older
else
DateDiff("d",StatusDate,dateadd('d',365,currentdate))// gives date diff from date in in future increases as dates get earlier

Replace relevant parts with your fields Currentdate is a valid crystal function
Sort on this formula set as ascending

Ian

Thanks Ian. That formula worked like a charm in the Record Sort Expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back