Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic report layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keoki

Programmer
Feb 22, 2000
US
Visit site
Hi all,

I need an idea of how to approach the development of a report.

We are developing a new in-house software package to replace an old, DOS-based type package. In the old package, several dynamically designed reports allow the user to create financial reports. For example:

The user inputs into the old system, that on line 10 all of the balances for the bank accounts are to be displayed. Then they enter the account numbers for the bank accounts. When the reports are run, then the balances for all the account numbers are totaled and displayed on line 10. In addition, the user also specifies what column the information is to be displayed in, how many blank lines are to precede the information, or in some cases if some information is to be gathered for various reasons, but suppressed on the report. The old system then uses these specifications and the report is generated to a text file.

I have been trying to figure out how to recreate this ability in Crystal Reports. The problem is that there are currently 9 different reports with different user specifications and some of the reports have thousands of lines printed. How in the world do I tell Crystal Reports to print this particular data on line ??? and in column ???.

If anyone has any ideas, I am definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Keoki
gb@cardinalhill.org

One way is to place a formula field on the report for each object that will vary, and then override the contents of that formula with the value or field that they choose. This gives the most flexibility, but is the most work.

Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

I thought of that, but we are talking about three to four thousand rows of information, with up to 4 columns for each row. There doesn't seem to be any good way to handle this.

Keoki
gb@cardinalhill.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back