Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic renaming of folders in Framework manager model

Status
Not open for further replies.

archanabrao

Programmer
Apr 6, 2005
US
Hi,

I am looking for a way to give dynamic names to my folders in the framework manager model,for example,append a certain date for the some of the folders,the date being retrieved from a database every night.

Is this possible? Else,is there a possibility of sticking a default page to query studio so that when a user opens Query studio he sees a welcome message and certain dates?

Please help !

Thanks,
Archana

I'm not certain why you'd want to change the names of the Framework manager folders dynamically. You'd constantly be rewriting all reports that use those folders because they would no longer validate due to not being able to find the folder they are from (well only after you publish). You're looking at a lot of work to keep the "package layer" in synch with the presentation/database layer, or maintaining reports.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you just wanting to inform users of what is new? If so, a better approach would be to stick a table in your database that you update with the folder names, date of last update, brief description of the update, <whatever else you desire>, put that table in your model, and then just have users query that. If you update a folder, make sure you update the table to reflect the update, and then just have the users run the report off this table/folder if they want to know what changed.

I'm sure there are other methods that would work too, but I think that this is a better solution than changing the folder names dynamically.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back