Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Registration Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2003
US
I have a 2003 server running as a dns, dhcp, and active directory. Latley I am getting a daily error in the System event viwer, ---Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more dns records failed with the following error:
No DNS servers configured for local system.---
I have active directory integrated dns running on this computer. Any idea what this error is and why it just started happening?
Thanks for any help.

Hi,

This sounds like you haven't set the DNS servers in the TCP/IP settings of the servers. Every server in an AD environment needs to point to a DNS server for registration and name resolving.

Because the DC is also the DNS server you can use the server's Ip-adress to point to itself for name resolving.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
MJanssen

I have the IP address set int he DNS entries on this server, and you are correct because DNS is running on the same box it points to its self. Any other ideas?

Have you tried running dcdiag /s:<dcname> /test:RegisterInDNS ?

If the server has any problems registering in DNS this command will let you know.

Regards,
MJanssen

Yes I just ran it this morning, and came up with nothing.

What's the exact event number, Source and description of the error in the eventlog?

Event Type = Warninig
Source = NETLOGON
Category = None
Event ID = 5782

In case you are interested I fixed this problem with the following Microsoft Knoledgebase article.

I was using the event ID of 5782 with no luck when searchig Microsoft for a sollution, but I found this article with a 5781 event id, go figure.
Thanks for all of your help I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back