Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic plsql

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidystew

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm using oracle 7.3.4.5 (plsql 2.3.4.5.0) and am trying to do something akin to dynamic sql but with plsql. What I'm trying to achieve is to create a function that returns the values stored in a package variable by passing in the name of the table and column and returning the contents of the table and column.

For example:

policy_row stores all the variables in our policy table available to our package in question, but not to the outside.

my function (return_init_var) - has two incoming parameters - table_name and field_name, so a call may look like:

trfutil.return_init_var(table_name => 'policy',
field_name => 'trans_id');

My function would want to return the contents of policy_row.trans_id. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't use dbms_sql as the necessary statement is plsql not sql. I was wondering if I could use any other dbms utility to do the job.

Help and thanks!

Aidystew said:
I'm trying to achieve is to create a function that returns the values stored in a package variable by passing in the name of the table and column and returning the contents of the table and column.

A function returns only one discrete value. Do you not want to pass into your function some argument that limits the RETURN value to a row-column tuple?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Sorry yes. The table_name and field_name will only reference a single value that will be returned.

Earlier in our process a whole bunch of variables are initialised and stored in memory in the form of rowtype variables that are available to the whole transaction - but only from within the package.

So the return variable would be referenced as table_name||'_row.'||field_name

So in the example above: policy_row.trans_id, which is a discrete value.

But how can I get from a variable that stores another variable to evaluate the contents of the policy_row.trans_id?

I hope I'm making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back