Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic parameter prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhugh

Technical User
Mar 24, 2010
SG
Hi, I'm using CR 2010.
I have a report that calculates a sum for a group.
Can I set a parameter that prompts me whenever that group changes?

I want to be able to divide that group sum by whatever parameter I enter for that group.
Is that possible?

I'm not sure I understand what you are after Jon but consider the following:

At the very start of running a report crystal checks whether the report (or any subreport) contains parameters and if they do, it must prompt you for them before it even queries the database.

So, parameters are "fixed values" as far as the report is concerned.

Therefore you cannot get a prompt to appear part way through a report.

Does this help?

Steve Phillips, Crystal Reports Trainer & Consultant

Thanks for your reply.
I understand what you're saying and thought it might not be possible.

Is there any other way I can achieve what I'm after?
Basically my report is grouped by countries. I calculate the sales volume by country and want to divide this by the number of employees in the country.

But because I do not have the number of employees in a database I was hoping I can just enter them during the runtime of the report somehow.

One solution is to create a table containing the employee informatin and link to that in the report. You could use a spreadsheet to store the data if you can't create tables.

If other people run the report you will need to consider whether they will be able to access the spreadsheet when they run the report (i.e. create s/s in a shared drive for example).

Will this work for you?

Remember crystal is quite happy (subject to dire performance issues sometimes) to report against more than one database. So you could normally report from your employee database as well as the sales database.

If these suggestions aren't suitable, let me know how many contries you have - you *may* be able to achieve this via parameters...

Steve Phillips, Crystal Reports Trainer & Consultant

That's a good idea with the spreadsheet and it's easy to use for the user as well I reckon.
I'll give this a try and see how that goes. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back