Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Multiple Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramers

Programmer
May 10, 2004
US
I have a problem. On one page I have several items that will be discounted, they are being passed in form variables to the next page where the query is being executed. So I have form variables that look like this form.itemid1=1, form.itemdiscount1=40, formitemid2=17, form.itemdiscount2=70, etc.

There could be as many as say 20 of these, or as few as 0. I am passing to the next page all of these items, and discounts, as well as the number of items.

My problem is when I run my query to update the table, I can't put my query in a cfloop and run a counter (e.g. update table set columnname=#form.itemdiscount#counter## where othercolumnname=#form.itemid#counter##) Is there some way I can dynamically do this. The only solution I've come up with so far is nasty and involves cfifing over and over.

What about doing the loop, but using the loop to build the SQL script, then executing the script once the loop has completed?

Just a thought...seems like you are handling it the right way, just need to narrow it down to one script first.

I think I follow, but how do I get around the having a #variable# inside another #variable#?

Ah - for that, just use "evaluate". I am doing something similar on one of my sites. Here is how it works:

1. Setup the name of the variable that you are going to want to evaluate
<cfset variables.ResultTextId = "form.q#i#WriteInText">

2. Then evaluate it to get the value contained in that variable
<cfset variables.ResultText = #evaluate(variables.ResultTextId)#>

how about looping through the form scope like so:
Code:
<cfset tempArray = ArrayNew(1)>
<cfloop list="#FORM.fieldnames#" index="i">
<cfset temp = ArrayAppend(tempArray, "#i#='#Evaluate(i)#'")>
<cfset ItemList = ArrayToList(tempArray, ",")>
</cfloop>

<cfquery datasource="#Application.DSN#" name="UPDATEQUERY">
UPDATE table SET #ItemList# WHERE criteria
</cfquery>

thats assuming your field names are the same in the form as in the database.

Thanks for the additional ideas. I've already used bowline's solution but this way I have options. Thanks. I was really banging my head against a wall for a while there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back