Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic MDIForm Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGuy

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
CA
I am working on a VB6 MDI project and have a difficult task to accomplish.

The users want to have some text show up on the background of MDIForm1. When there is no form showing the text will be visible. Where there is a form being displayed the text would be beneath the form not on top of it.

I tried a picturebox and two labels but that sits on top of any form. Using Zorder did not put the form on top of the picturebox.

The text in question will change depending on the DataBase the user is working in.

I am willing to try anything since I have managed to incorporate many other ideas along the way that are complicated.

Any solutions anyone can think of are welcome.

UPDATE: I managed to use a MDIChild to do what I want.

If anyone has a really cool/neat/good way of doing what I originally wanted please post it.

Thank you....

What I did was to create a bitmap (or other type image) of what I wanted to display (graphics and words) and then set the MDI parent forms .picture property to the image I created. Just beware that resizing will affect the picture.

zemp

Thanx, Zemp. But....

The only problem with your suggestion is that the info to be displayed is something that can be changed. Like the filename of a MS-Word document.

So that could not be done unless I can create a bitmap of just text as the program is running.

Why not place that dynamic information in the title bar or a status bar.

zemp

They want to have the DataBase Name in the middle if the MDI Parent and have it at 38 point font size.

The reason is many people use the program and they use the same ini. Therefore, when anyone goes in they will no and not have to read the tiny print that is on the statusbar.

I might be able to make the statusbar use a bigger font but having the name in the middle of the screen looks nice in the user's minds.

The current solution I have found does work.

>unless I can create a bitmap of just text as the program is running

Perfectly feasible

Well, Ok "STRONGM". Kind of a short message "Perfectly feasible".

Is there any chance you might have any idea how I would start doing some code for this.

I appreciate your answer but was hoping for some more information that would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back