Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic List Item

Status
Not open for further replies.

hs92

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
US
I haven’t worked with Forms very long and am trying to figure out the best way to approach the following:

I have a 3 level selection choice. The user selects NAME, LOCATION, VERSION. At the first level the user uses a list item to select a NAME. At the list item the user selects the LOCATION. Because the NAME has already been selected the LOCATION will display fewer choices in the list item. The same applies to the third choice, the VERSION, which completes the selection and creates the unique record that is required.

Since I want to list the top 15 Names, each having 1 to 10 locations and 1 to 3 versions, a LOV would have to hold up to 450 rows! Much too cumbersome for the user. I would prefer to have the first list item NAME drive the second list item LOCATION, thus limiting that to only those locations that match the NAME. Then that would in turn drive the LOCATION.

My question is how does one load list items dynamically? List item LOCATION and VERSION would have to dynamically change every time NAME changes. VERSION would have to change everytime LOCATION changes.

Thanks

I would begin by setting it up as three separate LOVs, so that the user will select values for each sequentially in runtime. You can control user's navigation through use of next_item or other appropriate means, if you want to, automatically raising the next LOV with each move. Raise each next LOV using POPULATE_GROUP_WITH_QUERY built-in. Screen your query(ies) with value(s) already selected in the previous item(s).

I haven't actually tried this, but it looks to me like it should work. Let me know ... hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back