Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
I post this question at another Thread but could not get any answer. Please help?

I have a table which one of the field is Hyperlink to Word document. I have 244 records in my table and each records link to Word document. The problem that I have is that if I move to word document the link will not be there. Is there a way that the link can be made more dynamic?
Thank you so much.

Hi,

...if I move to word document the link will not be there.
Are you loosing links from Access to Word?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

Okay -- You have Record A that is linked to Word document A1 located on a network drive N:\YourData

Now you copy your database and bring it home with you. You copy the Word documents too. But now instead of N:\YourData, you have your document files at D:\YourData

Not an easy thing to do. In fact, many a web master or mistress can spend a fair chunk of their day maintaining links.

IF you are consistently moving from location A to B, then there may be a couple of things to try.

Consider the following. You have a table that stores the two locations of your document files. In my example, N:\YourData and D:\YourData. Now I believe I can create code to toggle from home and work, D: drive and N: drive by editing the hyperlink as a text field. Take the data home - click the toggle button which updates all affected records to D: drive. Take the data back to work, and click the toggle button to change D: to N:.

Now, if the location of the document files is irratic, and truely dynamic, then you have a really tough job. The only progam that I am aware of that can find lost linked files is Lotus Notes where if it can not find an expected file, it searches for it. Moreover, it searches the files internally looking for the said file. So, here, if you changes a file Names.nsf to Names.ns!, Notes will / may still find the file, even if the file is moved to another directory, within limits of course. BUT I am sure Lotus spent a lot of money on this "self healing" bit of code.

Richard

Thank you so much Richard. Yes, I need to move from location A to B couple of times. It is very time consuming to re-link every record to the word document. I will try to create code to toggle from N: to D:. If you have code already written can you post it here.

Thanks,

Seda

I am new to Lotus Notes.

I have an existing calendar, i need to put a new page for new month. How do I add the link to new page

Thanks for your help

user2,

Please post your question in a new thread.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back