Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic IP solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mflancour

MIS
Apr 23, 2002
US
Not sure if this is the right area for this question....I am trying to creat my own web page. I want to use my pc at home to host it. The problem is, well one I've never done this so dont quite know what I need to do, but also I have a cable modem with a dynamic IP.

Is there a way to put some code on my web page that finds whatever is my latest IP address? Is this a stupid question? I need as much info as any of you can give me.

currently running windows ME.

I am in the same boat and this is where I am:

Purchasing a static IP from My Road Runner will be $150/month so that is my last option...

Here is my situation:
My IP address seems to change 1x week.
I want to use and not some second level myname.freedomain.com like dns2go provides.

I found a wonderful service online called:
I pointed my DNS to their server and I simply change my IP address there, and it resolves fast! If my IP changes I just make a quick IP change there.

Works well. I just wish there was a DNS2go app that sent them the IP ingo if iut changes. That would be a great service for DNS!

The problem I am having now is this... My Site prompts people for my Administrator name and password. I want them to go right in.

I have the box checked for Annonymous access using the IUSR_ServerName but it still prompts me.

Cant figure that one out!

- David

-- David McIntosh

Check out this threas for alot of info on this topic: Thread41-243318

-- David McIntosh

Try using 'dyndns.org' it's 100% free unless you want to donate money to their cause...I plan to. You create an account on the site and you tell it where to find your machine ie: current IP address. They suggest 'agent' software that will notify them of any IP changes on your end, your all set. I haven't used an agent since my DSL line seldom fails... once a month maybe!. Been using this service for approx two months ...works great.. surprised how fast it is.

check it out.. Glen

I may be able to help you all out here, a mate of mine has written a program that automatically changes the IP when NTL or BT update it, its only £9.99 for the full version, the shareware version updates every hour, the full version is every minute.

Heres the info:

Beacon Redirect (TM) WIN 95 / 98 / NT4 / 2000 / XP
Shareware Version (Updates every hour)
Author... Franz Ayestaran

Internet Service Providers of ADSL and Broadband normally supply a connection with a dynamic IP address allocated by a DHCP which is subject to change at
anytime. If a user wants to host a website on a their own Webserver a different IP address would have to be given to internet users or Domain Name Server everytime this IP address changed. A static IP address on the internet can be used as a beacon and act as a link between the internet user and the Webserver assigned a dynamic IP address. Beacon Redirect is designed to continually monitor the WAN IP address of a router once every minute. If there is a change in the IP address the Internet Beacon is then updated with the new IP address by uploading a redirect HTML file which links the user to the Webserver.

The site is here:

I'm likly being a bit thick here, but Scorp9 does is this software all I would need then (other than a server software)? or would I still need some third party web sight to send my IP address to when it changes?

Hi mflancour

Stage 1
Thats right but the software does it all for you, all you do is get an account with netfirms, virtualave or whoever, you now have a permanent static IP address, you forward your URL to the static IP address.

Stage 2
ALl you do now is tell the software the log in details give it your routers IP address where it graps your IP from and leave it.

Now everytime your ISP changes your IP address the software will automatically detect this rewrite the index.html file and upload it to your static IP

Cool

yeah...

I discovered Zone edit has their own utility to upload your IP.

There are lots of these ustilies and they all cost about 15$

The one made for Zone edit is the best and simplest...
I tried all the rest and this one works the best. Easy to setup and change on the fly. Simple low overhead.

:)

-- David McIntosh

Well... As I said in my earlier post Dns2Go is free and does everything for you so..

You d/l the software and setup an account for free. Its at this stage you choose what you want your domain to be called. But typically is "
Where "something" is your chosen domain prefix. Then the client software loads in the system tray as a service and autmatically updates info as needed. As I say, I have not found any problems with it and its by a well known company (Deerfield.)

Its easy to set up also (even I can do it.) Anyway, you have the link in my earlier post so - have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back