Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic IP not changing in router??

Status
Not open for further replies.

noeleon

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2002
CA
Dynamic IP not changing in router??????

I have XP Pro and Linksys router wan automatic but the ip address did not change since i used the router. Is it possible for the same dynamic ip from ISP to be stuck in linksys router for almost a year now. I have a dynamic ip applied from ISP if i use the hub it has different IP but when i use the router it has the same ip as before. It seems its a static ip although i configure the wan to be dynamic. Any ideas????

I leave my Linksys on all the time, I tend to get the same IP from my ISP over and over and over, so I wouldn't worry too much. However, you can perform a factory reset, just to be safe. Unplug the router. Using a paper clip, push in the reset button, then plug the power back in. In about 5 seconds, one of the LEDs will turn red. Wait a second, then let it go. The Linksys will reset itself. If it still has the same IP from the ISP, then that is what your ISP is giving you. You will also lose any saved settings, make sure you write them down first.

Matt J.

if you want a new ip from your isp then unplug your modem a nd do a slow count to ten then plug it back in. if you have a dynamic ip it will change.

MattJ. nad hardrock49 I already did b4 everything that you said and even powering/resetting it off everyday...how come ? if ISP is broadcasting dynamic ip and expires every 6 days...i still don't understand...i am just wondering why? Thanks for all the response...anymopre ideas?

You have a lease time of x days. Halfway through that lease time, your router will renew its lease, thus gaining a new lease with the same IP for a new period of x days.

Resetting the router, unplugging it, or whatever else doesn't matter as the lease is still registered at the DHCP server. When the server receives a request for an IP from your router, it looks in its table and finds your router's MAC and assigns it the same IP address.

Leaving your router off x + 1 day will probably get you a new address, but it may not. If the address you had wasn't reassigned to someone else, then it may be assigned to you again.

You can see this in action if you point your browser to your LinkSys router (default is 192.168.1.1). On the WAN side of things in the Status page, do a DHCP release then renew. You'll get the same IP and new period of x days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back