Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic IP addresses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georules

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
US
I have actually been wondering about this for a while, but MasterRacker reminded me about it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would like to know how the &quot;always on&quot; connections (DSL, Cable, ect...)&nbsp;&nbsp;change your IP address while you are still connected.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just a brief explination would be sufficient.<br><br>Thanks. <p>Geo Miller<br><a href=mailto:Georules@onebox.com>Georules@onebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Initially, your computer gets assigned an address. Your ISP sets the IP address to expire after X days.<br><br>Half way through that time, your computer goes off to the ISP server that assigned the address and requests a renewal of the address. If successful, the address is not renewed for another X days. If unsuccessful, the address is attempted to be renewed after 5/6 of X. At renewal, the ISP can give the same IP address from its pool of available addresses or change it.<br><br>The same thing happens in LANs and can be done manually by using ipconfig/renew (winipcfg renew under 9x).<br><br>Further information can be obtained by reading up on DHCP.<br><br>This has been a public service announcement. <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some ISPs force the renew request to result in a new address every time just to stymie people from running servers that aren't paying for static addresses. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

It also helps stop hackers getting into your system cos your IP Address changes...<br><br>I mistyped - 5/6 should be 7/8. <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have a DSL modem with a dynamic tcp/ip address assigned from the earthlink ISP. Is there a way to host a web site on my server without a static IP address? <br><br>The difficulty in life is choice.

If you need to change your ip the one way you can do that is use the Windows ip configuration menu.

Start --> Run --> winipcfg - [run]

then select your network adapter then his release, then refresh or just hit refresh unfortunately with ISDN, and CABLE, your IP is on a 'lease' and it expired just like a lease on a car, when this happens you get a new ip, but when you refresh it it extends the lease for a couple more days or even a week or month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back