Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic insert in a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystalboy1

Programmer
Sep 4, 2007
GB
HI THERE,

i got a bit table, where i will be putting annual calcuLated data for future use. now the problem is they want it all automated. i cannot create a function becuase at the end it will not return any data but will insert the calculated data into a table. saME way a procedure WILL NEED TO SHOW SOMETHING IN THE OPEN CURSER.

Please remember i got 1 insert and then 4 update statments.

ANY IDEA ?

Hi,
Can you explain further they want it all automated ?

What part? The insert/update or the retrieval or what?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Also, exactly what is the problem with a procedure? I think you are going to have to elaborate a bit on your requirements and constraints before anybody can help you. For instance, I'm not quite sure what to make of "saME way a procedure WILL NEED TO SHOW SOMETHING IN THE OPEN CURSER.

ok sorry. let me explain it a bit more to you. in simple words i want to do insertions of records in a table first, then will run the update on the same table to update a few fields.
I am using Oracle 10 G. IF i do all this process in a procedure then usually in the last part of procedure, we show the results e.g. given below.

create or replace procedure ABC (IO_CURSOR IN OUT SYS_REFCURSOR)

AS

begin

here will be the insert statments.
then the update statments.
now the problem bit.

open IO_CURSOR for

What should i show in here... i dont want this bit. as i have updated my table, what i do here please help

end abc;

If you don't want it, why don't you jut comment it out or replace it with "select ... from dual" or something like that ?

Retired (not by choice) Oracle contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back