Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Graphic (or image) Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

samps1

MIS
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hey folks,

I am trying to use some of the new functionality of Crystal Reports XI. What I am trying to do is dynamically insert a picture from the web using a URL. I can dynamically insert a picture using an image that is located on my computer, but when I try a URL it doesn't work.

The examples from Business Objects are rather poor. The example that I have found most useful is an example image that they put in one of the "Whats New" documents to show the ability to dynamically update images.

I know that I am running cutting edge and problems always result, but having this work would be big for my company.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and worth about 50 stars.

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

You need to start with a static image, then right-click it and choose 'Format Graphic'. Click on the 'Picture' tab, and bring up the formula associated with the 'Graphic Location' at the bottom.

You can then craft your formula that should return a http url string.

If you have a typo in your url, or the image doesn't exist, then the original static image you had in the report will appear.

These steps are in the help, and the Product Catalog sample report in the forthcoming multilingual release will show how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Blair

Here are the steps that I did:

1) I created the static image.
2) Then I edited it by right clicking on the image and selecting "Format Graphic"
3) Clicked on the picture tab
4) Clicked on the formula editor button for Graphic Location
5) In the formula workshop window, I put in this URL:
" (NOTE: I did put the entire URL in quotes)

This URL should bring up the Business Objects logo, when I try it in Microsoft Explorer it works. When I try it in Crystal, I get the original static image.

Thanks for you help so far,
Dave

GIFs are the only image type that isn't supported by this due to an irritating patent that just expired. If you try it with a jpg, bmp, or png it should work.

Thanks, Blair

It work with a jpg!

Thanks alot for your help!

That's a nice feature. I'd also tried earlier with a .gif, and assumed it just couldn't be done.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back