Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic function

Status
Not open for further replies.

rube

Programmer
Dec 24, 2000
CA
There must be a simple solution, and I must be too tired to get it to work, but how does one call a function using a concatenated string?

I have a function:
SearchPage(){}

I have a string:
string="Search" + "Page";

I want to call the function!

Thanks.

Use a function literal and store it in a variable:

var searchPage = function(){};

then call the function with:

eval ("search+ "Page")()

Ooops ... make that:

eval ("search" + "Page")()

Sorry!

Thanks, man, I'll try that. I thought I had, but I gues I goofed it up. Had to check to see that I was on the right track.

Thanks again.
Rob

You can't evaluate a string. You should evaluate a variable containing a string. So you get:

FnString = "Search" + "Page";
Call(eval(FnString));

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Sorry, electraboy, but what I typed above works ... I'm not careless enough to put up solutions that don't. I tested the above before I posted it, and it works all right. Although I see your point, and shall remember it for future reference :)

rgstewart :
Sorry, you're right
I went to fast and i read it not accurate enough
sorry It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Hey no worries - one solution is as good as the next ... so long as it works! Anyways, I think yours was a little neater :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back