Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic DNS in 2003 won't update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvleaze

ISP
Mar 24, 2006
US
Ok I have tried everything and cannot get clients to dynamically update my Windows 2003 DNS.

I created a zone called test.com and allowed "secure and unsecure" dns updates to it.

I then tried several clients using it as their only DNS server. Then I ipconfig/registerdns. I get no errors. But they do not update the DNS.

I also made sure their "primary suffix" was correct by right clicking "my computer" and manually setting it.

Their primary was set to test.com

HELPPPPP

Did you check the settings in the properties of the DHCP server using the DHCP admin tool? Make sure to also check the Credentials in the Advanced area.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

I tried it will static workstations.
This should bypass dhcp right?

Plus I have unsecure updates enabled, so I shouldn't have to put credentials right?

Here is the error I get on the workstation. Why does it say Sent update to server : <?>

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {E49FC209-DC7C-4753-A9B4-3172A5EA264C}
Host Name : daniel
Primary Domain Suffix : test.com
DNS server list :
X.X.X.X (My global outside IP address of the DNS)
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because either (a) the DNS server does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b) the authoritative zone for the specified DNS domain name does not accept dynamic updates.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Another question.

Does the A record have to exist first, before the users can update them??

Will the dhcp server automatically create new A records?

The DHCP server will create new A records. I believe that if the record already exists (because it was manually created), it might not update it. I'd have to check on that though.

What does "my global outside IP address of the DNS" mean? Sounds like it might be part of the problem.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

There are a couple of things to bare in mind in regards to DDNS;
1. What type of clients are you attempting to generate DDNS entries for
2. Have the clients been joined to the domain

I have run into this issue in my lab, and for the most part it stems from my clients not being part of my AD domain (assuming you are using AD integrate zones) or my clients are non-MS Linux and Solaris clients (in my case)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back