Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic Disk question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastKid

Vendor
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hi Gang,
I'd like to mirror my OS for redundancy of course, however to do that I need change the disk from basic to dynamic.

If I attempt to convert to dynamic I'm warned that, I "will not be able to start other installed operating systems from any other volume on these disks"

In english what does that mean in layperson speak?

Thank you.

You can't start other instances of windows 2000 or xp because when you convert the disk, it removes the partition entries on that disk except for the operating system you currently have running when you convert.

Personally, I dislike the idea of software RAID. Sure, its okay if your limited on your budget and have no other choice, but if all possible, go with hardware RAID. I can save you a hassle later on down the road. The one time I've used it, I actually had the mirror become corrupt causing me to resort to formatting and restoring the server.

Justin

Do you have another operating system, like longhorn or windows 98 (haha) on another volume? probably not if this is a server.. If you got just your one OS you're golden.

No worries!

-snooter

If you dual boot your system into another OS e.g. Linux then don't use dynamic disks. Of course you don't dual boot your production servers anyway so thats not a concern.

I would avoid using software to provide redundancy unless your server is not under heavy load and redundancy it very important, it can incur quite a performance hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back