Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic db connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben3026

Programmer
Dec 11, 2008
US
Hi,

I would like to have an SSIS package that connects to a database A (OLE datasource) and reads from a table called "controlling" a varchar value for connecting to another database "B" (connection string info). Then the SSIS package would query database B and proceed with any stuff that needs to be done.

What are the steps/instructions that I would do to buid that dynamic connection to a data source?

Thank you in advance.

-Ben

by the way, I'm using SSIS in SQL 2005.

setup a variable to hold the result queried from database A.
Use the variable to define the connectionstring for database B using expression.

------------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. One that understands binary and the other one that does not.

why not use the built in Configuration variable methods? or is the connection info going to change within the process?

if you need to change the connection string for an OLE DB connection then you can read it in from a query and then change the connection but you need to change the connection info using a Script Task within the controll flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back