Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DYNAMIC CALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramgarra

Programmer
Apr 1, 2003
BO
Could anyone help me....I want to know how to make a dynamic call, I have a memory problem when one program calls to another this program loaded into the memory of the first one and still there until you goes out the program, I have an application, where I have for about 1500 users so I became to have some problems with the memory

thanks

Operating system? mainframe, unix, ??
Compiler? Tom Morrison

I´m working with a SunOS argos 5.6 Generic_105181-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
and MF COBOL.

This is most likely something that is best answered by Micro Focus. Micro Focus has several different ways of aggregating all the programs in a run unit. Some involve static linking, some not. I am not able to answer any Micro Focus question with authority.

My [red]guess[/red] is that you should stay in interpretive mode (do not compile to native code) and be sure to CANCEL programs when you return to the calling program, viz:
CALL "PROGA" USING ....
CANCEL "PROGA"
Note that this can be quite a bit of work to do so for your entire set of programs.

Again, I cannot offer expert help on Micro Focus. If you do not get an answer here, try the "Micro Focus solutions" forum.

Tom Morrison

Hi ramgarra,

MicroFocus has a difference between a logical and a physical cancel. The standard behaviour is a logical cancel:
the canceled program stays in memory and so the following calls are much faster, but the programs data is initialized again.
During a physical cancel the program is unloaded from memory, so on the next call it has to be reloaded from disk, which needs more time. If you really want a physical cancel, i believe you can use the runtime switch '-l0'. This switch is available in Object Cobol, i don't know about Server Express.

Regards, Torsten

In the Micro Focus world, how call cancel works depends a lot on how the system was linked. There are choices.

Static Link - This links all the modules and a run time system into a single exe

Shared Link - This allows you to link modules separately and uses the run time system externally.

Build - This is a micro focus method that contains many advantages including the ability to re-locate modules in memory after call cancels.

If you are doing a shared or a static link using 'cob', I would suggest that you look very carefully at the parameter options (type cob with no parameters at a command prompt).

Clearly if you are trying to call a module that has been statically linked, you will be trying to load a new runtime system each time which will cause you to run out of memory pretty fast.

Clive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back