Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dying station ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

htowndave

Vendor
Sep 28, 2004
US
I have had a couple of Magix systems now experiencing the same problems and was wondering if you guys had seen this as well. Customer complaints of a couple of phones making several audible "pops" when idle then they just die...no date/time can't make or receive calls, just a flashing MWI. Ports are dead...can't get any phone to work there. Moved those extensions to different ports on a different 024 module and 3 hrs later they were dead again. Removed power from system and all ports were working after reboot. Lasted less than a week and same two phones are dead again. I am going to replace sets today. Magix 3.0. Any ideas?

They are probably "bad" phones. See if the processor error log shows any problems with the ports/modules involved. I assume these are 4400 series phones - which are basically a single circuit board. If the phone board goes bad - all you can do is replace it. If the phone board has a heat-related short circuit - it can knock out the 024 module port it is connected to. Since the problem seems to follow the phones - it is probably the phones rather than the 024 module.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Swapped phones, same problem. I guess I'll be pulling new cable next. Thanks

Anything in the error logs regarding the 024 modules or their ports? You could try connecting the phones directly to the 024 module in the same ports and see if the problem recurs. Use an RJ11 from the phone with jumpers at the other end to the connector block and/or patch panel.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

How do these phones work AT THE CONTROL UNIT?

That may be a good test.

are there groups of seven or so going out cause I have had just one phone shut down 6 or so ports, or could be a shorted cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back