Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DXD and Direct Line to a specific extension clarification help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2004
US
Hi all. For a R7 system, I have 13 telephone lines hooked up to it. My goal is to setup a couple of the lines so when client calls that number, it rings a specific extension directly. A few threads here pointed to silencing the ring for that line on all phones except the one that it is suppose to ring. The way that I currently have setup is set Lines with #104 to 11 instead of 13. Then I set line 13 ownership to one extension and line 12 to another extension. It works, but I have a feeling my method is reducing the number of available outgoing lines. If my method is not correct, what is the correct way to setup the system for directing a specific line to an extension? Is DXD something I can use? I am confused about what DXD is, how it works, and how it is suppose to be used for.

DXD is Direct eXtension Dialing, and it requires that you purchase an ASA/DXD card and install it in the Processor. It answers incoming calls on 0-9 rings, plays up to a 30 second message, and allows the caller to dial an extension number to transfer to. Sort of a poor man's auto attendant. Since you also have Partner Messaging, you really have no need for DXD.

Your approach of removing lines 12 and 13 from all extensions except those that will be receiving calls on those lines is valid, if you want to keep those lines private and prevent anyone from dialing out on them as well.

If you don't care if they get used for outbound calling (making them busy for those direct inbound calls), assign them to the other extensions, but turn the ring off for those other extensions.

Once you have set up your line assignments, never use #104 again, as if you change it, you will automatically assign that number of lines to ALL extensions, with Immediate Ring, which may not be what you want to do. If you were to add more or less lines later, use #301-(extension number)-(line number)-(1=Assign/2=Unassign/3=Assign to a specific button) to add or delete lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back