Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DX9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcs800

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2002
US
Has anyone else experienced freezes and funny video behaivior after installing Direct-X 9?

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

Directx 9 or 9.0a? Upgrade if using 9.0.

Try running the whole suite of tests for Directx by going Start, Run, dxdiag

You asked if anyone else was experiencing freezes w/ directx9.

I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9500Pro AGP card. Everything was working fine until I downloaded/installed DirectX9a from the Windows XP Update site. Now my computer hangs at the power on self-test (POST), but only after I select shutdown/restart. It passes post fine from a cold start. And, all video dxdiag tests have passed successfully in both cases.

I'm still trouble-shooting the problem. If you know of anyone who has a fix for this, let me know. Thanks!

Kill the ATI service that is running.

right-click My Computer, Manager, Services, Services, and scroll till you see the ATI service.

Stop it, and disable from starting in the future.

I should have mentioned this; the warm boot works fine after a Safe Boot. So, I disabled all services except those that run in Safe Boot mode, but it still hangs at POST after a normal boot w/ services disabled. This would lead me to believe it's not a video card problem. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back