Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DW6000 Problems Running on Wired Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1UJR

Technical User
Nov 16, 2003
US
Perhaps someone can assist us with this problem. We had a DirecWay DW6000 system installed last Monday (no local DSL or cable)and have had only very limited connectuion time. My installer is a good guy but is stumped, and Direcway Tech Support has been less than helpful.

The problem is as follows:

System will work fine when only one computer is plugged into the DW6000. At times even with a single computer connected, the modem seems to lose its connection with the satllite and seems to require that I refresh the IP settings to reestablish the link.

However, within 15 minutes of adding another computer to the hub, the Direcway system does not allow an internet connection for any computer.

I have verified and explored this fault with the following observations:
1) Once the systems fails, I can still connect to the Satellite Modem using the IP address of 192.168.0.1. Once connected I can bring up and browse the DW6000 System Control Center but can not browse the internet or send mail. Attempts to ping other servers also fail.
2) When in this failed state, despite being able to use the System Control Center, the DW6000 will also fail a connectivity test.
3) If the additional workstations are unplugged and the satellite modem power cycled, we can once again browse the web until additional workstations are plugged in. Failure does not occur immediately but takes perhaps 10-15 minutes to occur when workstations are added.

Thanks,
Bruce

The problem seems to be from the main HUB.Contact your NOC and tell them all this. they might be able to solve your problem.
Also install the Online UPS for DW6000. If the DW6000 won't get the proper voltage it 'll keep on booting itself after sometime.
Check out the DW6000 configuration also.

I too have directway and support for some issues is great while others they just don't care. If your using a hub you will need to switch to a router. I went through the same pains and could not get any support from DW in trying to address it whatsoever. I have a static Ip and had to configure my linksys router for that ip address, the default gateway, and the ip addresses provided by DW for the primary and secondary dhcp. Once all of that is configured you should be able to shutdown all of the pc's and restart and you can access net from all.

I am wanting to do a wired network with my DW6000.
What do i need? and how?

I take it i need a router but what do i need to do as I want to hook up my one pc and a TIVO turbonet nic to the network. So i need DHCP and an IP address for both as i will be telnetting into my tivo.

TYIA,

David

The issue you having seem to be connectivity issue not a network problem.. issue does not seem to happen immediately after adding work station.. seem like you have an issue with acp.. transmitting intermittenly fail,which will be a faulty installation.. monitor you transmitting signal. and click on Antenna Point and run acp test ,monitor signal.. should never fail, if it does get your installer to peak the dish
check status of transmit led.should always be blue. if issue persist check cable run length verse grade of rg6 used.

dont get a router with the dw6000, get a switch...ive had similar problems with dw6000 after powering down the dw then the computer and restarting them in the same order problem seemd to be fixed, although reappears sometimes. Its just like everything else from dway, tempermental!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back