Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DW4 Crashes when trying to open index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2002
US
This has been a source of frustration for the past few weeks. its a little long and complicated, so i hope you follow and can offer some advice:
There are about 5 people responsible for updating various areas of our website, I am acting as backup for one of the other four. There are 3 PC w/Win2K users (myself included) and 2 Mac users (the person I help back up included, she is using DW3 on OS 9, everyone else DW4).
Up until about 3 weeks ago we had no problems. I am responsible for (if the main person cannot get to it) adding an article page and then updating the index.html page headline and link to point to the new article. For some reason, I can still access older articles and generate new articles, but however I try to access index.html I get a message that DW has generated errors and will shut down... or DW will simply shut down with no error warning at all. I have tried going to my local folder, r-clicking on the index file and saying "Edit with Dreamweaver" and it still crashes the program.
Up until now I have been getting by with editing the index.html page in Notepad and using DW to upload to the remote site... but today I need to manipulate some graphics and it just isn't working.
If anyone has any suggestions or explanation, please help?
thanks so much

Angie

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling dreamweaver?

That is my next step. Unfortunately, the person in possession of the software is out until next Monday, and while I have access to her office she has moved where she normally keeps it. I'm not one to normally go rooting through a person's things... coupled with the fact that I wouldn't even know where to begin looking ;)
Any ideas *why* this would be happening?

----------------
The road to hell may be paved with good intentions, but at least it will be a smooth ride

Quich fix may be?

Open the file with notepad copy all text into a new doc within DW and use the save as command?

Might work.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I think i have discovered the cause of hte problem, somewhat. I made some layout changes to the page (which needs to be redone, its got tables layered upon tables layered upon tables), and at some point after I made the changes it started adding blank space...
I actually had done the copy from Notepad into Word before I read the post... and i stopped the copying process when the page number was somewhere around 5000 (i kid you not).
its like there are 200 blank pages between each line of code or something.
So what I've decided to do is take an older version of index.html and start over, and then start using that as the home page source.
thanks for the suggestions...and if anyone happens to know or care to guess how that happened, please enlighten me...

ciao

Angie

----------------
The road to hell may be paved with good intentions, but at least it will be a smooth ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back