Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DW - CASE tool / Metadata repository integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani

MIS
May 4, 2000
CA
I am looking for any input regarding data warehouse metadata repository tools with an integrated data modelling (CASE) tool.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Anyone know about such an integrated tool ?&nbsp;&nbsp;If not, has anyone used a best of breed combination with a home-made synchronisation interface ? <br><br>I would like to document the physical data model of our existing databases and at the same time document the source metadata in order to prepare for our upcoming data warehouse project.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Thanks for any input.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

The problem with metadata repositories that are integrated with modeling tools is that they are model repositories. That is, they are designed to store data models. What this means is that, in most cases, you will have to be creative in finding work-arounds for such things as data transformation rules, source-to-target data mapping, and other information about the sources and age of the data in the warehouse. Two products, ModelMart and MetaWorks, are favorites of mine. Both are extensible and tightly integrated with a data modeling tool. Model Mart is designed to work with ERWin. MetaWorks is bundled with PowerDesigner's WarehouseArchitect package. Both have published APIs, and MetaWorks makes their metamodel available to their customers. ERWin is now marketed by Computer Associates and PowerDesigner by Sybase's PowerSoft subsidiary.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back