Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVI/Analog, LCD only works with DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

venmaz

Technical User
Feb 18, 2005
US
I have Gatewway LCD fpd1510, it has cabling and connectors for dvi and analog. My vidcard is Nvidiati4200, has dvi-d and analog ports. When I plug in DVI cabling, monitor is fine. When I plug in analog, screen goes blank, power light goes from green to orange(sleep mode?)
Also have secondary pc, vid card is ATI 7500 with analog only. I plug analog cabling to that, same thing, monitor goes blank.
Any ideas on why the analog doesnt work? Is it possible the analog is not working on the lcd?
thanx in advance.

There is probably a selection in the monitor's setup menu. My Neovo does the same thing, unless I turn off the device connected to the DVI - it's the primary input...

If you plug in JUST the analog output from either computer to the LCD, without connecting the DVI cable at all, do you have the same issue?

Problem exists even with just the analog plugged in, that was one if the first things I tried. This would lead me to believe its the monitor, but I have a feeling its not...
I looked hi and low on my nvidia card, is it possible theres a settign in there? One setting I came across lists 2 vid options - the monitor listed and analog. I tied choosing analog, the screen goes blank, then eventually reverts back to original setting.
grrr oh well..

Call Gateway, and see if there is something you are not seeing, or something we are not getting... If the monitor is fairly new, a support warranty should still be in effect.

If you plug the analog cable into two different computers, and still get a black screen, then, if there really is something wrong, it is probably in the monitor.

Do you have a manual for your monitor?
If not perhaps go to the monitor website and get one from there, also check out their faq section, etc.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

ok I think I narrowed it down. I can get the lcd with analog to work on a vid card with just an analog plug, so monitor is fine. But the analog doenst work with my nvdidia ti4200, so theres something to fix on the vid card, I just cant find it in the settings.....

OK, heres all the info, I typed a new post on a different forum. I have tried everything...
Nvidia ti420 128mb, 8x agp. DVI connector on Gateway lcd fpd1510 works perfect. When I remove the dvi and plug analog, no picture. I plug analog to another pc with ATI radeon, analog gives picture, works perfect. I tried a regular monitor to analog on nvidia pc, I get picture, works perfect. So I know the analog on nvidia card works.
Also, with lcd AND monitor both plugged ( lcd - dvi, monitor - analog) to nvidia, I can bring up nvidia properties and see both connections listed, I can also switch between them. When I bring up propertied with just lcd plugged ( DVI and analog), it only lists the DVI connection. Nothing happens with just analog plugged, no video.
I need this becuase I have 2 pcs, need them hooked to a belkin 2 port kvm. with this switch I have also tried a dvi to analog connector, same results. All tests above were done with AND without the kvm connected, all kinds or reboots, all updated drivers everywhere (including mobo...), etc....
Since the only thing that doesnt work is analog on the nvidia, the process leads me to believe the lcd with analog wont work on the nvidia but doesnt make sense if a monitor works.
Does anyone else have an lcd and can use dvi and anaolog with ti4200?
thanx in advance

ARGGHHHHHH..........................

well, you can just ignore me now.
For whatever reason, the analog is working now...I have no frikkin idea why.....

Ok here is one for all of you. I have a 42' LCD. The really only way I can get a picture to come up through DVI -HDMI is with special software. The screen really doesnt go blank rather its off the screen... .it doesnt fit the screen. With Powerstrip software it doest hold it pretty good but not perfect. The issue I have is I cannot get nay of my high performance games to work... let alone a few low performance ones. Radeon 8500 seems to be jsut fine otherwise and I have all the updated drivers including my TV ones.

Sugestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back