Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD-title 'Matrix' is running jolty on my system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
GB
Hi everybody!

I have problems with the dvd-title 'Matrix'.
In all the cool scenes where this slowmotion-action takes place the playback can't be called fluently!!
All other movies (Southpark, Akira, Green Mile, Sixth Sense) run perfectly fine. My region-code is 2 (Europe).

My system is:

Pentium III 500
128 MB RAM
Geforce 32MB DDRAM (ASUS DELUXE ....)
A-Open 12x DVD-drive
(seems to be the same as the Pioneer 12x slot-in!)

I am using WinDVD2000 v2.3 with Windows 98 SE.
My Geforce is powered by the Nvidia Detonator3 6.x

What could be wrong? Is my system just too slow?

thanx.

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

well you are using a Software decoder, if you use a software decoder called PowerDVD that should least take advantage of the Geforce's Motion compensation, but if you feel it's too slow you can do one of two things.

1) Upgrade the processor (not as practical usally more expensive, especially if you are talking Intel)
2) get a DVD Decoder card such as the SigmaDreams RealMagic Hollywood+ (more practical, not only is it just 45% , but takes complete load off your CPU, can do TV out and Dolby Digital out as well)

I have a Hollywood+ DVD decoder card (it's actually a creative Labs Dxr3, they're the same cards, they just get sold under different company lisences)

thats for the details about the hollywood plus.

before you talk about cost, consider this for a moment, for anywhere as low as 40$, you can get hardware decoding, whereas a software decoder might run anywhere from 25$ upto 60$(I've seen em that high before)

the only disadvantage would be you'd need a PCI slot avalible, and as far as I remeber windows2000 support is still in beta. but it works great under 98.

Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

The Matrix was a crappy made DVD, they even had a recall on it. It's the DVD and not your computer, mine does the same

Make sure DMA mode is selected,Go to the device manager and select your DVD rom,properties make sure there is a tick in the DMA box,It sure fixed mine ,I had the same problem.
Hope this helps....... BRI......

Yes, The Matrix is one of the hardest dvds for a software decoder to handle. Many of the software was slow and sometimes stalled when playing this dvd.

Is this bad? Not really.

You've got a very popular movie that is very hard to play on a computer - hence The Matrix became the benchmark dvd to test how good a decoder software is. As each newer version of software came out, the programmers specifically added code to help with the playback of The Matrix so that they would pass the benchmark tests.

Just get the latest version of WinDVD or PowerDVD, it will play The Matrix much better.

Its either, the physical disc, the data on the disc, the drive, the system, or the software.

If you can play other DVD's fine that leaves the the physical disc, data on it and the software.

Physical disc: Clean the disc? Try someone elses matrix?

If data on it:
Then try the dma suggestion. But I presume it would be alright. Download DVD genie and the latest software of your choice (power DVD or winDVD). Now with DVD genie set enable the hardware acceleration geforce motion.... tweak obvious options in there.

Okay thats also got rid of the software solution.

Cheers

Chris

It's definitely the DVD, I know that the Matrix does have problems with DVD players for TVs and would probably have the same effect with computers. Dinosaur is another film which has problems on DVD players. Why? I have no idea! Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back