Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVD RWs - Drag and drop in explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravman007

Programmer
Feb 9, 2004
CA
I recently purchased a "Pioneer DVR-A106 DVD-RW Drive". Upon reading the documentation that came with the unit, it states that I can use the RW side of things as I can with my CD RWs. In other words I can just drag and drop files onto a DVD-RW in Windows Explorer.

I've managed to copy a 700 meg file over, but that is it. If I try to copy further files onto the DVD-RW, it just locks up and I have to physically unplug the PC and re-boot. Someone somewhere mentioned something about DVD-RWs not being able to support the drag drop functionality and for me to use the Nero software to copy large files onto my DVD RW's. Is this true? Or am I simply doing something wrong here?

I have used the Verbatim DVD-RW shipped with the unit, plus I went out and purchased TDK and Maxell DVD-RWs with all the same effect.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

First of all, the Pioneer drive can either be a DVR-A06 (retail version) or a DVR-106 (OEM version) model. It would also help to know what version of Windows you are running, along with your systems specs like CPU speed.

I have heard of some problems using the "drag and drop" feature with DVD-RW's. On some systems, the CPU usage reaches 100% and then the system locks up. To get around this, first make sure you have tried to disable as many processes as you can that are running in the background. You should also try DVD+RW's instead, since the technology they use for packet-writing is a direct descnedant from the CD-RW. And finally, make sure you have DMA enabled for your Pioneer drive (setting should be in Device Manager).

If none of the above helps, post back with the following:

1) Software you are using to format the DVD-RW before doing a drag & drop (i.e. Sonic MyDVD)

2) Version of Windows and system specs

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Thanks for your quick feedback. I purchased the retail version, not the OEM version.

My PC spec as follows:

Gateway 500s - Pentium 4 - 2.53 ghz
512meg ram, 280 gig hardisk
128 meg NVidia 440 mx display card
Windows XP Pro (service pack 1 and all other hotfixes installed)

I just formatted the DVD-RW using the format option under windows explorer. I currently have a DVD reader installed as drive F: and my DVD writer (Pioneer) is installed as drive G:. When I stick a blank DVD-RW into the Pioneer, I get a message saying that the DVD is blank and do I wish to format it. When I select "Yes", for some weird reason, the software keeps trying to look at the DVD Reader (Drive F:), not my DVD writer (Drive G:). So I just used the format option in windows explorer to format the DVD-RW.

All I got with the player was the bundled Nero software and some video editing software. Nothing else.

Ok, another important point to make is that your DVD burner is able to use either DVD-RW or DVD+RW media. As I mentioned earlier, DVD+RW media usually have better success rates when it comes to "packet writing on-the-fly" in Windows Explorer. If you haven't done so already, run to your nearest Office Depot or Best Buy and grab a single blank DVD+RW. See if it has the same problem.

Also, XP does have the built-in feature to format CD's. However, I don't think it has the ability to format DVD's properly. So what's happening sounds like XP thinks you have inserted a blank CD-RW and is only formatting the first 700MB of the disc (700MB is the typical size of an 80-min CD). That might explain why you are unable to go any higher than this amount.

[red]This is really important[/red]

Instead of responding to XP's prompt to format, use SAI's WriteDVD program which should be part of that software package that came with your drive. It will recognize the disc as a DVD disc for sure and enable "packet-writing". That's the program's main purpose for being bundled with the drive.
More info on this software here:

Also consider visiting Pioneer's official support site for you drive here:

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

I got the DVD drive eventually working thanks. I had to download an updated version of the UDF writing software from the SAI website. It still takes ages for windows explorer to recognise the DVD-RW when I insert it into the PC, but the files eventually turn up. I guess it's because of the CD being a DVD-RW over a CD-RW.

Thanks for your help.

anytime

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Hi Ravman007,

when you say ..."I had to download an updated version of the UDF writing software" .... can you post the URL where you got this from. I think that I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back